Saturday, December 11, 2010

This Habit Could Save Your Life

Hello, everyone.  I started this blog a few weeks ago, but I don't know when it will be up on the internet.  This is my first blog and I found out that when you create a blog it doesn't appear on the internet right away. 

Initially, I started this blog to review products.  But I'm also going to enjoy blogging about other things too.  I'd love to get some feedback or suggestions, so feel free to comment.

For my first post I want to share an intriguing idea about staying safe on the road.  The concept is extremely simple, maybe that's what makes it so profound.  When you're sitting at an intersection and the light turns green, how often do you glance left and right before moving out into the intersection?  I know of two people  that were killed in accidents that could have been prevented if they had done this very thing. 

In one of these accidents, a woman was sitting at the intersection of a four-lane highway waiting to turn left.  When the light turned green, she pulled out into the intersection and was hit by an 18-wheeler going about 70 miles an hour.  She could have saved her life if she had merely glanced to her right before moving forward.  If she had, it would have been obvious that the 18-wheeler was going to run the red light.

The other person killed was a local radio personality who was also hit by a vehicle speeding out of control that he didn't see until it was too late.  Like the woman killed by the 18-wheeler, he had gotten the green light and was driving through an intersection.  Driving is so automatic to us.  How many people think to do a quick scan of the highway and look left and right when the traffic light says it's our turn?

So why not start a new habit?  Look both ways from now on before you pull out into an intersection.  It could mean the difference between life and death someday.

Save up to 50% on Car Insurance

No comments:

Post a Comment